Friday, August 24, 2012

Tragic Idols

What is it about our desire for idols that makes us conspire to ignore the truth about people?

No fan of sports, I still poured over an article about the fall of Lance Armstrong.   I think of Jerry Sandusky and those who cloaked his deeds in secrecy despite the horrible injuries to children.  We want idols in our lives.  We want to believe they are invincible.  But these individuals are not gods.  And even gods were known to be capricious.  This says to me we create gods in our own image.

Even in our jaded world--or perhaps because of it--we want to believe in something bigger than ourselves.  We want someone to inspire hope or greatness.  Those idols become a lightning rod for all our dreams.  We dare not expose the truth that they are just as human as we are.  Flawed, dark, fighting their own demons.  Where would that leave us?

But what is wrong with being human?  Is Everyman not capable of moments of heroism, brilliance, generosity?  Why do we need to attach perfection to that list?  I'm struggling with this question myself.  It is the inverse of the initial question, Why do I deny the truth of greatness in those who are flawed?  I can hold tightly to my judgments about people who rub me the wrong way.  That can obliterate in my mind anything they might possibly do for the good.  Certainly there are criminal acts for which perpetrators must be answerable.  Actions have consequences.  But is there no way to inspire each other not only to greater deeds but also more honest deeds?  Can we strive to be more honest ourselves?  Can we as family members, friends, associates support each other in being more whole? 

I'll be taking a break from this blog to do a silent retreat next week.  I'll be spending much of that time thinking about these questions.   Judgments regarding  imperfection are running rampant in my brain these days.  They are judgments about people in my life, which are merely a reflection of judgments about myself.  It is fascinating how we play out our issues with others!  But it's getting me stuck, and I hate being stuck.  So while I'm deep sea diving, perhaps you'd like to think about why we tend to swing from star-struck to cynical and share your thoughts here.  What would it mean not to have idols?  What would it mean not to have scapegoats?  And what does that mean for us individually?

Pax tecum.

 

6 comments:

  1. No matter how Obama responded to the birth certificate "brouhaha", there are those who still are pushing that agenda. But Obama has other more important duties, so he gave it what time it deserved. Perhaps Lance Armstrong has had it with all the accusations. Maybe there is no way to prove totally beyond a doubt his innocence. So although he may lose the trophy, he still achieved something. Both men had to make a decision about how much time they want to spend dealing with these detractors who apparently have nothing else to do but stab people in the back. I support Lance's decision to not spend more time on it. Maybe all these detractors want is to waste the "achiever's" precious time. Obama is using his elsewhere, so should Lance Armstrong. There is much else to do and many who would welcome his assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love to build them up, and once they're too big for their britches, we delight in chopping them down. George Washington refused to become king, perhaps he knew what was coming. Look what happened to Jesus not long after he was paraded in triumph through Jerusalem.

    Perhaps the truth is similar to what Nelson Mandela said about how we are afraid of our own greatness. We project it on others instead of realizing our own potential, and then, out of envy and shame, hate them for it.

    I'm starting to see that I need to take responsibility for my own shortcomings and, perhaps, even more important and frightening, take responsibility for my potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Larry. Great insights here. Particularly interesting is your quote by Mandela and the way we project onto others. Like you, I need to take more responsibility for the whole package that is I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the entire quote I think you are referring to Larry, which is often attributed to Mandela, but actually a quote of Marianne Williamson's, a Jewish author who wrote "A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles"

    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

    I too, have been struggling lately with some of the egos I encounter at my job....I've been trying to figure out what it is about those particular people that irritates me so....I think FEAR is the key word here. It's my own inadequacies that I'm projecting on to them that makes me not to be around them...some time alone to work these issues out sounds like the perfect tonic Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What synchronicity I just had a similar conversation today with a friend going through a hard time. He is desperately wanting a mentor in his life to help guide him through this thing we call spiritual enlightenment. I reminded him that, while a mentor is nice to have, it is easy to put people up on the perfection pedestal just to be disappointed later by our own expectations. I have done that numerous times with healers who I have received services from. Once they show any sign of being human and flawed it crushes my fantasy of my own perfection and I mentally lash out in judgement of them. We are our own saviors included with that belongs internal enlightenment and crucifixion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I do the same thing. I think we all need to walk on solid ground and let others do the same. Too many bodies are falling on me!

    ReplyDelete