Friday, June 15, 2012

Multitasking Is NOT a Virtue

Recently one night, I was sitting in bed reading some nonfiction book while listening to classical music.  Nonfiction makes me think, and I love to think!  But in a momentary gap of attention, I heard the music.  It was beautiful!  Lou Harrison's Elegiac Symphony.  I put down the book and listened.  Then I wondered why I have music on if I'm not listening to it?  Why do I put food in my mouth if I'm not going to taste it.  Why do I take a walk if I'm not going to see what I'm walking through?  Just yesterday I was so excited about my new consulting assignment, thinking of all the great things I can do for the client, that I drove to the place only to realize I had left all my paperwork at home!  Focus, Jannie.  We need focus.

These are the simple examples of multitasking.  In truth we cannot go through our day without multiple things happening at once and shifting our attention from here to there.  We'd be hit by a skateboarder or burn the pancakes if we didn't.  But these occurences do speak to what we are ignorant of and what we choose to focus on.  I can choose to focus on the dust buffaloes in my living room and believe myself to be a poor housekeeper.  Or I can choose to focus on the beautiful paintings on my walls and remember I have a wonderful sense of esthetics.

Things gets worse when we focus on a cell phone, a conversation, and traffic at the same time.  Or rapid fire signals that require our attention.  Our frontal lobe is not designed to take in that much information so fast for a long period of time.  We create adrenaline in response, and over the long haul the result is adrenaline overload leading to adrenaline addiction.  When that happens we cannot concentrate for five seconds in a row.  Our brain is now wired to need more and more stimulation to keep up the adrenaline it is now addicted to.  And once this happens we are in a chronic state of stress.  We feel crazy.  We cannot remember things, write a clear sentence, see where we are going, hear what a child is saying to us.  We become horribly ineffective in anything we choose to do.  Would someone please tell me why we think multitasking is virtue?


Well here's one guess.  From our ego's standpoint, it makes us seem important.  We must be important if we have so much to do!  And so we parade our "have tos" like prizes in some contest.  Here in the southwest of the northeast, we play this game better than anyone.  The joke is it is no fun at all, and life is slipping through our fingers...but we convince ourselves that this stress IS our life...it's just that we don't like this life and desire a different one...but not really because then we'd lose points in the contest...and who signed me up for this anyway?!?!?!

This is why I advocate silence as frequently as possible.  Meditation is one option.  But just sitting on the stairs staring at nothing is another.  We need to rest our brain, get our adrenaline down to a normal level, and work--and live--more mindfully.  In doing so we are more effective in our jobs, our relationships, and in living.  It can be hard to do.  Our brains feel starved when we don't keep the stimulation coming.  But it really does calm down after a while.


One of my clients here for a silent weekend retreat made an entry in the guest book:  When I got here, I really resented having to give up my cell phone.  Two days later, I really resent having to take it back!  A saner life is available to all of us.  We just need to be aware that we and our brain chemistry are not one and the same thing.  We can make different choices about how we use that organ between our ears.   Practice doing one thing at a time throughout the day and see how much better you feel and work.  Now that's a virtue!


Pax tecum.

9 comments:

  1. You nailed it, Jan.

    Our egos.

    What sounds more important . . . "I have nothing to do this weekend, I'm reading or planting in my garden, or doing nothing; OR - I can't possibly fit this in. I am so booked, so busy, it's just crazy."

    Someone told me that former Pres. Bill Clinton has the gift of listening to people with total focus and concentration. Now, if ever there were a person who could say, "I can't possibly talk with you, I'm so busy, I'm so important . . ." but I'm told he doesn't.

    This isn't a plug for Bill Clinton the politician, but Bill the focused and listening person. A person who stops all his important things to simply focus and listen to someone else. I would imagine Mother Teresa is in this category, also.

    Adrenaline, coffee, sugar . . . and off we go. Wound up for the day.

    Ultimately, I think multi-tasking takes us away from ourselves; what we don't want to see inside ourselves. We distract ourselves from pain, from vulnerability and intimacy. We distract ourselves from the dreams we are afraid to pursue. After all, we're just too busy. And living the life we secretly want to live, is just too scary.

    Hmmm . . . .

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that about BC! But I do know people connect with you powerfully when you pay attention to them. Thanks for the comment. Garden away! I'm impressed!

      Delete
  2. Jan has once again hit the nail directly on the head. It's the ego.
    "From our ego's standpoint, it makes us seem important. We must be important if we have so much to do! And so we parade our "have tos" like prizes in some contest." Freud could not have put it more succinctly.

    I have a great friend in Danbury, whose business is tanking. It was his father's, passed down to his two children to "carry on!"

    The internet and the ability for people to shop literally globally, has all but diminished the business to a loss.

    Last week, he confessed to me that he was having serious bouts of depression over his inability to continue to support his family and the fact that he was a failure.

    I helped him trace it to his ego. For many people, their identity is tied to their "job". Their self worth and self esteem hide there. It's who they are.

    Nothing could be farther from the truth. The job is how you make a living. Who you are has nothing to do with this.

    From now on, instead of asking people what they do for a living, I'll just say "what keeps you busy and happy these days" so as not to confuse the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a GREAT conversational ploy, Frank. Particularly as so many of us are unemployed but not by choice. And it is also much more interesting. I can't be an accountant, but I can be a fellow movie buff.

      I remember being in Germany on vacation, visiting in a private home. There it is considered rude to discuss one's job. It's more about the above, where you are from, your kids, things like that. Oh! That would be things that matter!

      Thanks for your comments. And for helping your friend!

      Delete
  3. Frank, this could be an opportunity for your friend to re-create the business. Maybe the product is needed, but the way it is delivered needs to be updated.

    Whether we like it or not, the internet is here and it's here to stay.

    I also think it takes a number of years of living consciously to realize that what we do for a living is simply what we do for a living. It is not a measure of our worth or intelligence. I like this part of getting older. The 'rat race' doesn't interest me anymore. I wish your friend well.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I loved that you said that the nice part of getting older is the fading of the ego's attachment to "Careering". Our society is in a deep void when it come to wise voices of the elders. I am in a stage of life where I want to let go of attachment to a career title; however the social energy of my peer group is a huge challenge. Oprah inspires me all the time because she speaks about all of the wisdom and truths that come with age. These messages help to calm down my over-active multi tasking mind by showing me that it will not always be that way. She makes aging a beautiful right of passage, as it is intended to be. I would love all the wise men and wise woman to start sharing there voice within every community. Thank you for sharing yours.

      Delete
  4. You're very welcome, LeahJoy. Thank you for the kind words.

    I have to regularly stop myself from seeing myself as society does - an aging woman, an 'old lady' etc. As I recently told Jan, I wrestled myself into rest. This comes not only with age, but with wanting to live consciously; with doing what your heart calls you to. Then your heart sings . . .

    I believe in other cultures older women and their hard earned wisdom is reveared. I applaude Oprah for saying this. She is now an older woman who cannot be ignored. She is known and respected world wide; she is a force of nature and an empire unto herself. Only a total media fool would brush her off as old and irrelevant. In other words, all the news and electronic networks cannot ignore her.

    Bravo! I believe people get a flashlight view of you when they ask what you do.

    You are a unique person, LeahJoy, so you will never quite fit in with your age group. This is reason to rejoice! You are clearly thinking about your life, your abilities, where you want to put your energy. And when you as a person are out of the mainstream, well, you swim upstream.Life is absolutely more challenging.

    So you surround yourself with your 'pack' (Oprah is clearly a member) and be strengthened by that. We're brought up to live for security and not to take risks. As adults, we need to examen that and decide for ourselves what life is about and how we want to live it.

    My advice to young people is to face your fears; go for what your soul and spirit are calling you to do and (like the horses in Central Park) wear your blinders to keep you focused and clear of fear-based criticism.

    Earlier I was in line in the grocery store. I said to the woman next to me, 'Look, it's started to rain.' She made a face. 'Maybe it will cool off!' To that she garumphed in some sort of way. There's always someone to rain on your parade.

    Anyway, keep living consciously, LeahJoy. You're a lady of substance.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much. My favorite quote this week has been "it takes a village" I have of course been referring to the beautiful way my whole family is nurturing my two young nephews. I am starting to realize that it is also true of nurturing our own souls. I have been so blessed by so many wise woman and men in my life who have guided me and allowed me to guide them to see the true love and light. I am grateful to you and to wise sister Jan for being a part of my village.

      Delete
  5. Honored to be a part, LeahJoy. Thank you.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete