Friday, June 22, 2012

Don't Curb Your Enthusiasm

I found a great book I wasn't supposed to be interested in.  Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice by Dennis Kimbro and Napoleon Hill.  Normally I would regard the title as boooooooogus, but years ago one of my favorite colleagues, himself Black and an ex-offender, told me how it inspired him.  Seeing it available for one mere dollar at Written Words Bookstore (www.writtenwordsbookstore.com.  Did you all catch the shout out?), I decided to buy it.  I've been reading a lot about money these days.  And I am thinking about it as part of our life force and how our history and psychology mingle with it.  How do we create abundance?  How do we create deprivation?  What stories do we tell ourselves regarding it? 


I'm not halfway through this very short and readable paperback and the main idea is hitting me like a piano falling on my head.  Be enthusiastic about your idea!  LOVE your idea.  Sleep, eat, and breathe your idea.  Hold it to your bosom like a newborn baby and keep nurturing it.  


The Black authors say they wrote this book for Black Americans who struggle with success.  But this middle-aged White chick struggles with it as well.  The stories we tell ourselves, they say, determine how hard we will work, whom we will attract to help us, and if we keep our eyes and ears open for opportunities.  The stories can keep us moving through the long, dark nights into the light of day or stuck at an entrance, trying to find the way in.  I have not been telling myself very good stories.  "Why would anyone want to pay for a course on silence?  That's just an absurd notion!"  "Why would anyone come to a working class neighborhood for a silent retreat?  God knows there are far more beautiful places for that."  More significant is "Why does my passion for this persist?  I must be crazy."  Enough!


Many of us now desire a different lifestyle.  Either 9 to 5 no longer appeals to us, or it no longer wants us.  We are now creating new forms of work that spring from our unique gifts, gifts that aren't always conventional.  It is tough, often lonely, confusing, and we make mistakes (Boy, do I hate that part).  We need buddies to help us through all of this.  Not just networking groups--buddies.  People we know and trust, who care about us, and remind us of why we're doing what we do.  We need to share better stories to get to success.  We need to keep each others' enthusiasm burning brightly.

So here's my challenge to you:  All of you, if you would, please--PLEASE--declare to the rest of us what you are enthusiastic about.  What do you want to achieve?  How can we help each other?  If you've already achieved a dream or two, what did you learn?  What got you scared?  What made you brave?  Would you like to be a mentor?  Come back to this post often and see who's responding to YOU.  Pass this blog post on to others who might be interested.  If you want to make a private connection, let me know; I can play go-between, providing email addresses or phone numbers.  Maybe there's some face to face opportunities in the offing.  Anything could happen.  I created this blog to create community.  Come join in! 


Wow!  I'm feeling really enthusiastic about this!!!


Pax tecum.

10 comments:

  1. Count me in there...just left olde jobbe...ready to step into the unknown. Yes a support group would be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two is a group!!!! Thank you Tom! Anyone else in? Can't you just feel the energy?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, three!!! I love this idea, Jan. Other people supporting, encouraging and believing in our eccentricities!

    Jan, you asked who wants a course on silence? And I ask, who wants to read about a cat with one ear and a bent tail in heaven who is dealing with victims of suicide?? Yet I wrote this book with great passion.

    You're passionate about silent retreats. If this is in your heart then it was put there for others - therefore, yes! Be assured, others will also be passionate about silent retreats. (and heavenly cats and suicide.)

    Count me in!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you! thanks for your words of encouragement. I think there are others who are interested beside us three, but they may be shy to "out" themselves. Stay tuned. And welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My passion is to encourage and support fellow "Well Spouses"...those who have been caregivers to a spouse or partner with a chronic illness or injury for the long haul. I facilitate a support group (the only one in CT at this time) under the Well Spouse™ Association umbrella. We are a peer to peer support group of volunteers who want others who are on this path to know they are not alone.

    Who would be willing to pay for a class about silence? I did, and it was great...you have a gift Jan and while the money rewards may not be great, what you putting are out there has high value.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brava!!! Thank you for sharing your passion! (And you know I know who you are!) Your work is so vital, and I hope those reading this post will keep you in mind for others who might need you. So another shout out is www.wellspouse.org. An extraordinary organization. And thank you for your very kind words to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I fear that I have tooo many passions and that I am not focused enough to see any of them to fruition. Other times I fear that I don't have enough passion to fuel the fire to carry any one of them through to fruition. And most of the time I just fear that I am not good enough, no one would want me and who do I think I am asking anybody for money.

    I will share more with you at another time while I sit with the very yucky feelings that this admission have brought up. It is time for me to intentionally unravel the lie that holds me back from shining my light.

    Thank you Jan so much for addressing this very scary topic and I welcome the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you said that it is time for you to unravel the lie that holds you back. Brave and smart lady, LeahJoy.

    First of all, 'not good enough' is a baldfaced lie.

    Secondly, one mark of giftedness is too many irons ready for the fire, and not being able to settle on one.

    Third, wherever the voice with the lie came from, you have internalized it and it is now (unfortunately) your own voice telling you lies. A suggestion: how about 'seeing' that voice apart from yourself, like across the street, or across the state?

    In this way, you'll be signaling your mind to begin separating you from this self-defeating voice. This is a powerful, and valid, therapeutic tool.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks Leah Joy for your courage. It is certainly how I feel very often, and it is also what I am now actively choosing to overcome with the help of other non-pigeons. Carol, what a great mentor you are to all of us. This is a rich soup here, and I think we are all going to make something nutritious out of it. Let's continue to get the lies exposed and out of our lives so we can live our truth.

    In the movie "I Am" by director Tom Shadyac (another shout out) there is a clip of an interview with Desmond Tutu talking about how we all contribute to the world. Imagine that lovely musical voice of his when he tells us: "God says 'Will you do this for me? I don't have anybody else to send.'" Do we really want to say no to God?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Something nutritious," I love it!

    And don't we all think, instead, that God is standing up there with a cosmic-sized two-by-four ready to wallop us at the slightest provocation??

    Carol

    ReplyDelete